The CPL Executive Fellowship is a selective nine-month, part-time leadership development program for future nonprofit senior and executive leaders in Washington, D.C.
Through training, coaching and mentoring, the program gives up-and-coming leaders in Washington, D.C. the skills and networks they need to develop and manage highly effective progressive advocacy, organizing, policy, and electoral organizations.
During the program, Fellows will regularly work with national experts, guest trainers and CPL’s staff and faculty to build their leadership and management skills and prepare for senior and executive leadership positions.
CPL Fellows will participate in:
- Training Workshops
- One-on-one and Small Group Coaching
- Project-based Learning
The comprehensive 9-month program focuses on five core political leadership areas, including:
- Progressive Vision & Values
- Management and Organizational Development
- Communications & Messaging
- High-Impact Leadership
If you're interested in learning more, download details about the Executive Fellowship curriculum (PDF).
Who Should Apply
Whether it is through organizational or non-profit leadership, community activism, issue advocacy, or policy leadership, the Executive Fellowship is designed for individuals who are committed to advancing progressive political or policy change.
Qualified applicants should have:
- Demonstrated leadership experience in progressive policy and/or political change work
- Interest in future executive or senior leadership in progressive advocacy, organizing, policy, or political organizations
- A commitment to investing in their leadership skills and openness to learning and growth
- 6-10 years of professional experience in progressive organizing, advocacy, policy, or political organizations, including 3-5 years in a management role
- Direct management experience—ideally a current management role
- Significant time to commit to monthly training workshops and group and individual coaching sessions
All programming is run in Washington, DC, so all applicants should be based in the greater Washington area.
Update! The Executive Fellowship will not be offered in 2013.
Nominate someone for a future Fellowship class
Meet Past Classes:
2012 Program Cost
With the generous support of our funders, CPL is able to offer the Executive Fellowship at reduced rates for progressive partner organizations. CPL underwrites the majority of the Fellowship expenses by 40% to 75%.
Below is the sliding scale of fees for 2012, based on organizational budget.
|Less than $1 million
|$1 million—$3 million
|$3 million—$5 million
|More than $5 million
Program costs include monthly workshops, regular one-on-one and small group coaching sessions, and all meals, materials and other resources.